Cong thrashes Gujarat govt stand on Sadbhavna fast
New Delhi: Congress on Sunday trashed the Gujarat government`s claim that the chief minister had launched the Sadbhavna fasts on the directives of the Centre, saying, "unless the BJP and Narendra Modi think that people of India eat grass, they would not have made such a laughable statement".
"If he (Modi) is so obedient of the Central directive, then why did he not follow his own party’s warning to observe Raj dharma? Was it the Centre which told him to turn a Nelsonian blind eye when human carnage was going under his nose?", party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said when asked about his reaction over the issue.
There were media reports which stated that the Gujarat Home department had written to Governor Kamla Beniwal earlier this month noting that the Sadbhavana fasts had been held in the state to increase communal harmony.
The letter was reported to have said that this (fasts) was as per directions given to the "states by various ministries of the central government to maintain and strengthen communal harmony in the states and with a vision to empower national unity."
Singhvi remarked "unless the BJP and Narendra Modi think that people of India eat grass, they would not have made such a laughable statement".
Modi had launched the Sadbhavna Mission with a three-day fast on his birthday on Sept 17 last year. The 33 fasts concluded on February 12.
Gordhan Zadaphia, who was the Minister of state for Home in Gujarat during Modi`s first stint as chief minister, has dismissed the state home department`s explanation.
Zadaphia, a friend-turned-foe of Modi, has also sought to know "which circular of the Centre had directed Modi to fast for sadbhavna".
He had written four letters to the Governor on Modi`s fasts seeking the expenses on it and the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble