Congress MP Vijay Darda praises Narendra Modi, calls him a `tiger`
Ahmedabad: In an embarrassing situation for the Congress, party MP from Maharashtra Vijay Darda on Sunday praised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi by calling him a “tiger” and a “national saint”.
"Modi`s commitment and dedication towards work bears resemblance to that of a tiger," Darda, who shared dais with the Gujarat Chief Minister at an award ceremony here, said.
He was speaking at a sermon celebrated by Jain ascetic Tarun Sagar here.
Darda, who is also the editor-in-chief of a media house, was given the `Tarun Kranti Award` at the event for his services rendered to the society through the media.
Taking a thread from Darda`s statement, Modi was quick to take a dig at Congress saying he may have to pay a price for his comments.
"It won`t be surprising to read tomorrow`s breaking news that Darda has been served a show-cause notice from the party high command for praising Modi," he said.
Darda later downplayed his remarks saying that he did not mean anything political through his comments on Modi. "I was just expressing my heart-felt feelings at a religious function," he said.
"I am from the Jain community, what I said was out of respect, no need to make an issue out of this", Darda said.
“In our culture, we always speak good about the host and this is a religious function, so none of my comments should be misconstrued as political remarks”, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...