Congress MP Vijay Darda praises Narendra Modi, calls him a `tiger`
Ahmedabad: In an embarrassing situation for the Congress, party MP from Maharashtra Vijay Darda on Sunday praised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi by calling him a “tiger” and a “national saint”.
"Modi`s commitment and dedication towards work bears resemblance to that of a tiger," Darda, who shared dais with the Gujarat Chief Minister at an award ceremony here, said.
He was speaking at a sermon celebrated by Jain ascetic Tarun Sagar here.
Darda, who is also the editor-in-chief of a media house, was given the `Tarun Kranti Award` at the event for his services rendered to the society through the media.
Taking a thread from Darda`s statement, Modi was quick to take a dig at Congress saying he may have to pay a price for his comments.
"It won`t be surprising to read tomorrow`s breaking news that Darda has been served a show-cause notice from the party high command for praising Modi," he said.
Darda later downplayed his remarks saying that he did not mean anything political through his comments on Modi. "I was just expressing my heart-felt feelings at a religious function," he said.
"I am from the Jain community, what I said was out of respect, no need to make an issue out of this", Darda said.
“In our culture, we always speak good about the host and this is a religious function, so none of my comments should be misconstrued as political remarks”, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- WATCH: Virat Kohli floors Pakistan cricket fans with touching message for Aleem Dar's son
- Ashutosh Gowariker, Kay Kay Menon launch Raj Supe's new book
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016