Death of boys from Asaram`s ashram: Charge-framing adjourned
Ahmedabad: A local court, which was to frame charges against seven disciples of the controversial godman Asaram Bapu in connection with the death of two boys studying at his `ashram`, on Saturday adjourned it to October 5.
Chief metropolitan magistrate S V Parekh adjourned the hearing as three of the seven accused were absent.
On July 5, 2008, decomposed bodies of cousins Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11), who were studying at Asaram`s `Gurukul` in Motera here, were found on the banks of Sabarmati River behind his Ashram.
The boys had gone missing two days earlier. Their parents alleged that Asaram and his son practised `black magic` which led to the boys` death.
The state CID in 2009 registered a case against seven followers of Asaram under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of Indian Penal Code. The accused moved the Gujarat High Court which directed CID to book them under section 304(A) (causing death by negligence), a lesser offence, instead.
Also, following a violent agitation on the issue, Gujarat government in July 2008 set up a probe panel headed by former High Court Judge D K Trivedi, which submitted its final report in July this year.
Asaram Bapu is in jail over allegations of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in Jodhpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30