Delay in justice: Gang-rape victim consumes poison inside court
Ahmedabad: The delay in justice to victims of sexual crimes, coupled with further ‘victimisation’ inside courtroom during trial, has forced many to stay away from courts or take extreme steps.
In an example that once again highlights the apathy of the system towards victims of sexual crimes, an alleged gang-rape victim attempted suicide inside courtroom before a judicial magistrate on Wednesday afternoon.
The alleged victim, who hails from Amraiwadi, became furious after the magistrate adjourned the case and scheduled the next hearing in March. She also abused the court, lawyers and the slow judicial process before consuming poison.
A constable tried to prevent her from consuming poison but she even slapped him. She had brought a bottle of pesticide along with her.
The victim, 30, was allegedly gang-raped by seven men on April 6, 2007.
After being treated at a local hospital, the girl reportedly said she was tired of ‘dates’ and did not wish to live anymore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan