Delay in justice: Gang-rape victim consumes poison inside court
Ahmedabad: The delay in justice to victims of sexual crimes, coupled with further ‘victimisation’ inside courtroom during trial, has forced many to stay away from courts or take extreme steps.
In an example that once again highlights the apathy of the system towards victims of sexual crimes, an alleged gang-rape victim attempted suicide inside courtroom before a judicial magistrate on Wednesday afternoon.
The alleged victim, who hails from Amraiwadi, became furious after the magistrate adjourned the case and scheduled the next hearing in March. She also abused the court, lawyers and the slow judicial process before consuming poison.
A constable tried to prevent her from consuming poison but she even slapped him. She had brought a bottle of pesticide along with her.
The victim, 30, was allegedly gang-raped by seven men on April 6, 2007.
After being treated at a local hospital, the girl reportedly said she was tired of ‘dates’ and did not wish to live anymore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma