Doctors` strike: Six junior medics suspended
Ahmedabad: Taking a tough stand against
junior resident doctors at the Civil Hospital here who have
been on strike demanding increased security, authorities on Sunday suspended six medics, including the president of Junior
The suspended doctors also include president Hiren Patel,
vice-presidents Raghuraj Rathod and Vikram Ojha.
Following the suspension, the striking doctors have
threatened to intensify the stir.
"Over 650 doctors are on strike. The resident doctors of
hospitals in Bhavanagar and Vadodara district have extended
support to the agitation and also boycotted work," Patel said,
adding the strike would continue until the demands are met.
The doctors have demanded enhanced security from the
government saying it should bring in a law to make assault on
medics a non-bailable offence like in other states.
They went on strike after a junior doctor on duty was
allegedly beaten by relatives of a patient, Shehnaz Mansuri
(32), who died in ICU.
In the wake of strike, the hospital administration has
made alternative arrangements to offer essential services. The
hospital is one of the biggest in the state and caters to over
1500 patients daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'