Gujarat: 6 lakh state employees go on casual leave
Ahmedabad: Around six lakh employees of the Gujarat government on Thursday took casual leave en masse, seeking full implementation of recommendations of the Sixth Pay Panel.
The one-day agitation, which came in the election year, crippled the work in government offices.
The employees have also demanded that Gujarat government should withdraw cases filed against their union leaders, and the transfers of unions` office bearers be revoked, but government refused, saying that there could not be any preconditions for talks with the employees.
Taking a tough stand, the government declared the mass leaves `unauthorised`, saying that absence would be considered as `a break in service`, and truant employees would not get any allowances.
"Work in the state offices across Gujarat came to a halt as around six lakh workers went on mass casual leave today, pressing the demand of implementation of Sixth Pay Panel recommendations," said Vishnu Patel, the president, Gujarat State Employees Coordination Committee.
"So far no fruitful discussion has taken place with the state government," he said.
Sachivalaya Karamchari Sangh, which represents around 2,200 employees working in the state secretariat, did not join the mass leave agitation. State Assembly offices functioned as usual.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof