Gujarat coast `highly sensitive`; security needs revamp: Panel
New Delhi: Terming the Gujarat coast as "highly sensitive", a Parliamentary panel has recommended to the Union Home Ministry to fill up infrastructural and logistical gaps to tighten coastal security in the state as it is facing a hostile atmosphere.
The Department-related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has said the Gujarat coast is highly sensitive due to its close proximity to a very vulnerable part of International Maritime Border Line.
The panel said in its report that it was in agreement with the state government that it needs more funds and infrastructure to improve and strengthen coastal security preparedness.
"The Committee recommends that under Coastal Security Scheme (Phase-II), all the infrastructural and logistical gaps in the coastal security apparatus of the state should be filled in view of its vulnerability due to hostile atmosphere in the coastal area of Gujarat," the report, tabled in Lok Sabha today, said.
The panel said it felt the issues raised by the state government regarding non-availability of inputs on national security matters and regulation of benami investment are worth noting and deserve attention.
"The Committee feels that if the Ministry of Shipping is not the relevant agency, then the concerned agency - be it Ministry of Home Affairs or any other agency - should provide necessary inputs to the state government. MHA may look into this matter," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31