Gujarat: Five MS University students held for ragging junior
Vadodara: Days after arresting a faculty member at MS University of Baroda in Gujarat for allegedly ragging a student on the campus, police on Monday held five senior students of Architecture Department in this connection.
"Parth Patel, Nirmal Shah, Vivek Panchal, Kunal Patel and Nisha Panchal were apprehended for ragging First Year student Harshvardan Sutariya," Sayajigunj Police Inspector A B Saiyed said, adding they were released on bail in the evening.
Police had on October 20 arrested professor Mayur Gupta on similar charges. He was granted bail yesterday.
The students were booked under sections 342 (punishment for wrongful confinement), 143 (punishment for being a member of unlawful assembly), 203 (K) (giving false information respecting an offence committed) of Indian Penal Code (IPC), he said.
The incident came to light after Harshvardhan`s father Ramesh Murar Sutariya filed a complaint with local police last week.
Police said a video clip showing the ragging incident, involving Gupta and senior students, including a girl, of the University was submitted by the complainant besides other documents including recordings of conversations on Harshvardhan`s mobile phone.
According to police, Harshvardhan`s seniors asked him to do `obscene` acts on the campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter