Gujarat Governor sends plaint over Modi`s marital status to Home Department
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal`s office has forwarded an application by an AAP worker seeking action against BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi over his non-disclosure of the marital status in the past to the state Home Department.
AAP activist Nishant Verma has sought cancellation of Modi`s election to Assembly from Maninagar in 2012, and his nomination for Lok Sabha from Vadodara in ongoing election.
"The (Verma`s) letter addressed to the Governor of Gujarat...Has been forwarded to your office for the further action," Section Officer Amruta Parmar at the Governor`s office has said in the letter sent to the Additional Chief Secretary of Gujarat Home Department.
Verma`s contention is that Modi, who mentioned his wife Jasodaben in his election affidavit for the first time when he filed nomination for Lok Sabha election last month, had lied earlier about his marital status.
In his nominations for Assembly elections in the past, Modi left the column about the spouse blank.
S K Nanda, Additional Chief Secretary, Home Department, said he had not received the letter yet. "I will check it the day after tomorrow," he said.
This time, though Modi has given his wife`s name, in the column about assets in the name of spouse he has claimed to have no information.
Both Congress and AAP have targeted Modi over the issue and approached the Election Commission. Congress leader Kapil Sibal has moved the EC alleging that Modi had been hiding the facts as he never revealed that he was married in all the eleven affidavits he had filed earlier.
While Congress candidate from Vadodara Madhusudan Mistry has alleged in the complaint to the EC that Modi didn`t give enough information about his wife in the present affidavit, such as her PAN or investments, etc.
The Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, during his visit to the state, had said that the matter was being examined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH