Gujarat HC rejects Vaghela`s plea against 2009 poll result
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday rejected the petition filed by senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela, who had challenged the result of 2009 Lok Sabha election from Panchmahal constituency, which he had lost by a narrow margin.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while upholding the result of the election which BJP`s Prabhatsinh Chauhan won by 2,069 votes, observed that there was no proof of the winning candidate using any "corrupt practises".
Chauhan had got 2,82,058 votes while Vaghela got 2,79,989 votes.
The Congress leader then filed `election petition` in the HC, claiming that Chauhan had sought votes by making communal appeals. Also, there were numerous instances of booth capturing and bogus voting, he said.
The petition also alleged that Chauhan, in his affidavit filed before the Election Commission, suppressed some facts and submitted incorrect information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority