Gujarat HC rejects Vaghela`s plea against 2009 poll result
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday rejected the petition filed by senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela, who had challenged the result of 2009 Lok Sabha election from Panchmahal constituency, which he had lost by a narrow margin.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while upholding the result of the election which BJP`s Prabhatsinh Chauhan won by 2,069 votes, observed that there was no proof of the winning candidate using any "corrupt practises".
Chauhan had got 2,82,058 votes while Vaghela got 2,79,989 votes.
The Congress leader then filed `election petition` in the HC, claiming that Chauhan had sought votes by making communal appeals. Also, there were numerous instances of booth capturing and bogus voting, he said.
The petition also alleged that Chauhan, in his affidavit filed before the Election Commission, suppressed some facts and submitted incorrect information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3