Gujarat HC rejects Vaghela`s plea against 2009 poll result
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday rejected the petition filed by senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela, who had challenged the result of 2009 Lok Sabha election from Panchmahal constituency, which he had lost by a narrow margin.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while upholding the result of the election which BJP`s Prabhatsinh Chauhan won by 2,069 votes, observed that there was no proof of the winning candidate using any "corrupt practises".
Chauhan had got 2,82,058 votes while Vaghela got 2,79,989 votes.
The Congress leader then filed `election petition` in the HC, claiming that Chauhan had sought votes by making communal appeals. Also, there were numerous instances of booth capturing and bogus voting, he said.
The petition also alleged that Chauhan, in his affidavit filed before the Election Commission, suppressed some facts and submitted incorrect information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!