Gujarat HC rejects Vaghela`s plea against 2009 poll result
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday rejected the petition filed by senior Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela, who had challenged the result of 2009 Lok Sabha election from Panchmahal constituency, which he had lost by a narrow margin.
Justice JC Upadhyay, while upholding the result of the election which BJP`s Prabhatsinh Chauhan won by 2,069 votes, observed that there was no proof of the winning candidate using any "corrupt practises".
Chauhan had got 2,82,058 votes while Vaghela got 2,79,989 votes.
The Congress leader then filed `election petition` in the HC, claiming that Chauhan had sought votes by making communal appeals. Also, there were numerous instances of booth capturing and bogus voting, he said.
The petition also alleged that Chauhan, in his affidavit filed before the Election Commission, suppressed some facts and submitted incorrect information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt