Gujarat HC to monitor CBI investigations in Ishrat case
Ahmedabad: Granting additional time to CBI for investigating the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case of 2004, the Gujarat High Court on Friday said it would now monitor the probe.
The court has asked the agency to submit a progress report by March 15.
A division bench of justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari observed that progress in investigation of the Ishrat case was only `to the extent of 30-40 per cent`.
"Looking at the case diaries submitted along with the report, it seems that investigation has not reached the crucial stage... We would require to monitor the investigation," the bench said.
CBI, which was directed to probe the case by the high court on December 1, 2011 had filed an application seeking direction to the Gujarat government to extend the services of IPS officer Satish Verma for six more months.
While hearing the application on December 10, the court had asked the agency to submit a progress report in investigation.
Even when CBI submitted its report on December 27, the court had expressed its disappointment.
"After going through the status report submitted before us, prima facie it looks like nothing substantial has been done by CBI," the court had observed and directed the agency to prepare a detailed and date wise report, which was submitted yesterday.
Mumbai girl Ishrat Jehan(19), Pranesh Pillai alias Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were shot dead by Ahmedabad city crime branch officers between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004.
Earlier SIT, formed by the high court, had concluded that the encounter was staged, and death of the four had taken place before the encounter.
Gujarat police, at that time, had claimed that all the four were Lashkar-e-Toiba operatives and had entered the city to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm