Gujarat VHP opposes move to seek death penalty for Kodnani
Ahmedabad: Gujarat`s VHP leadership is up in arms against Gujarat government`s decision to seek death penalty for former state minister Maya Kodnani and nine others in connection with the 2002 Naroda Patiya massacre case.
"VHP strongly condemns the reported decision of the Gujarat government to seek death penalty for Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajarngi and other Hindus sentenced in the Naroda case," Gujarat VHP General Secretary Ranchhod Bharwad told reporters on Wednesday.
Calling the decision "shocking" and "a blow to Hindus", Bharwad has written to Chief Minister Narendra Modi urging him to withdraw the decision.
Recently, the Gujarat state legal department approved the recommendation of the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) to file an appeal in the Gujarat High Court, seeking enhancement of sentences to 10 convicts including former minister Maya Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi.
It has also decided to demand 30 years` imprisonment for 22 other convicts who were awarded jail terms of 24 years by designated Judge Jyotsna Yagnik on August 31, 2012.
A prosecution panel of three advocates has been appointed to draft and argue the appeal, which will also seek conviction of seven accused, who were acquitted by the designated court.
"We are worried about the safety of Hindus in our nation, as everywhere they are being attacked or feeling unsafe. And in Gujarat, innocent Hindus have been subjected to injustice because they were socially and politically active," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?