Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh seized on day-one of ban in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh was on Tuesday seized by the state Food and Drug Control Administration (FDCA) on day-one of the ban, a top official said here.
"Around 4,000 shops across the state were screened and over 67,000 pouches worth Rs 2.5 lakh were seized," H G Koshia, Commissioner FDCA, told PTI.
The maximum seizure was reported in Surat (7,632 pouches), Rajkot(7,000), and Ahmedabad (105 kg) amongst other places, he said.
Samples of three brands, from three separate wholesalers - two in Surat and one in Surendranagar - were sent to food testing laboratory, Koshia said.
On confirmation of the gutka from the sample containing nicotine, the owners would be prosecuted, he said.
The ban on production, sale and manufacturing of gukta in Gujarat came into effect today, and would be in force initially for a year. The violation attracts at least six months of imprisonment and fine upto Rs 5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter