Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh seized on day-one of ban in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh was on Tuesday seized by the state Food and Drug Control Administration (FDCA) on day-one of the ban, a top official said here.
"Around 4,000 shops across the state were screened and over 67,000 pouches worth Rs 2.5 lakh were seized," H G Koshia, Commissioner FDCA, told PTI.
The maximum seizure was reported in Surat (7,632 pouches), Rajkot(7,000), and Ahmedabad (105 kg) amongst other places, he said.
Samples of three brands, from three separate wholesalers - two in Surat and one in Surendranagar - were sent to food testing laboratory, Koshia said.
On confirmation of the gutka from the sample containing nicotine, the owners would be prosecuted, he said.
The ban on production, sale and manufacturing of gukta in Gujarat came into effect today, and would be in force initially for a year. The violation attracts at least six months of imprisonment and fine upto Rs 5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology