Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh seized on day-one of ban in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh was on Tuesday seized by the state Food and Drug Control Administration (FDCA) on day-one of the ban, a top official said here.
"Around 4,000 shops across the state were screened and over 67,000 pouches worth Rs 2.5 lakh were seized," H G Koshia, Commissioner FDCA, told PTI.
The maximum seizure was reported in Surat (7,632 pouches), Rajkot(7,000), and Ahmedabad (105 kg) amongst other places, he said.
Samples of three brands, from three separate wholesalers - two in Surat and one in Surendranagar - were sent to food testing laboratory, Koshia said.
On confirmation of the gutka from the sample containing nicotine, the owners would be prosecuted, he said.
The ban on production, sale and manufacturing of gukta in Gujarat came into effect today, and would be in force initially for a year. The violation attracts at least six months of imprisonment and fine upto Rs 5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog