Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh seized on day-one of ban in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Gutka worth Rs 2.5 lakh was on Tuesday seized by the state Food and Drug Control Administration (FDCA) on day-one of the ban, a top official said here.
"Around 4,000 shops across the state were screened and over 67,000 pouches worth Rs 2.5 lakh were seized," H G Koshia, Commissioner FDCA, told PTI.
The maximum seizure was reported in Surat (7,632 pouches), Rajkot(7,000), and Ahmedabad (105 kg) amongst other places, he said.
Samples of three brands, from three separate wholesalers - two in Surat and one in Surendranagar - were sent to food testing laboratory, Koshia said.
On confirmation of the gutka from the sample containing nicotine, the owners would be prosecuted, he said.
The ban on production, sale and manufacturing of gukta in Gujarat came into effect today, and would be in force initially for a year. The violation attracts at least six months of imprisonment and fine upto Rs 5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'