HC notice to Gujarat govt on Narayan Sai`s petition against arrest warrant
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday issued notice to the state government upon a petition filed by Asaram Bapu`s son Narayan Sai, who is seeking quashing of an arrest warrant issued by a Surat court last month in connection with the sexual assault case against him.
Justice Harsha Devani posted the matter for hearing on November 27.
An FIR was filed against Sai (who is absconding) and Asaram on October 6 by Surat police at Jehangirpura police station based on complaints of two sisters who accused the father and son of sexual assault.
The Surat court issued the arrest warrant for Sai on October 28 under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
Sai`s lawyer today argued that the petitioner had been asked to remain present before the probe agency under Section 70 of CrPC, though he had applied for anticipatory bail within five days of filing of FIR.
Execution of warrant would be tantamount to depriving him of right to seek anticipatory bail, the lawyer said.
But Additional Public Prosecutor R S Kodekar argued that Narayan Sai had been declared a `proclaimed absconder` by the court and his conduct was a matter of concern.
The younger of the two sisters has alleged that Sai sexually abused her many times between 2002 and 2005 when she lived in Asaram`s Surat ashram. The elder sister has accused Asaram of sexual assault.
The 72-year-old Self-styled godman Asaram is in jail at Jodhpur in connection with another case of sexual assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi