HC notice to Gujarat govt on Narayan Sai`s petition against arrest warrant
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday issued notice to the state government upon a petition filed by Asaram Bapu`s son Narayan Sai, who is seeking quashing of an arrest warrant issued by a Surat court last month in connection with the sexual assault case against him.
Justice Harsha Devani posted the matter for hearing on November 27.
An FIR was filed against Sai (who is absconding) and Asaram on October 6 by Surat police at Jehangirpura police station based on complaints of two sisters who accused the father and son of sexual assault.
The Surat court issued the arrest warrant for Sai on October 28 under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
Sai`s lawyer today argued that the petitioner had been asked to remain present before the probe agency under Section 70 of CrPC, though he had applied for anticipatory bail within five days of filing of FIR.
Execution of warrant would be tantamount to depriving him of right to seek anticipatory bail, the lawyer said.
But Additional Public Prosecutor R S Kodekar argued that Narayan Sai had been declared a `proclaimed absconder` by the court and his conduct was a matter of concern.
The younger of the two sisters has alleged that Sai sexually abused her many times between 2002 and 2005 when she lived in Asaram`s Surat ashram. The elder sister has accused Asaram of sexual assault.
The 72-year-old Self-styled godman Asaram is in jail at Jodhpur in connection with another case of sexual assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi