HC upholds term extension of Nanavati Commission
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Thursday dismissed a PIL challenging the state government`s decision to give further extension to Justice G T Nanavati Commission, inquiring the 2002 post-Godhra riots cases.
While dismissing the PIL, the division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala held that the state government was justified in granting extension to the commission.
The government had granted 18th extension to the commission in March earlier this year till December 31, 2012.
"Looking at the voluminous nature of the inquiry by the commission, the time limit for submitting the report has been extended from time-to-time," the bench said.
One Jignesh Goswami had filed the public interest litigation (PIL) last year, alleging waste of public money by extending the time limit of the commission.
The PIL sought that the commission be directed to submit its final report within a time frame and state government should not grant any further extension to it.
The court was of the opinion that it was not within its purview to issue direction to commission to conclude its inquiry and submit report in a given time.
While pronouncing the judgement today, the bench noted that the commission received voluminous evidences and its task was mammoth.
As per the affidavit filed by the under secretary of the Home department, during the hearing, till June 2012 the commission had received 47,321 affidavits, examined 1,035 witnesses, organised 281 public hearings in 22 districts of the state and 4,274 offence cases were being inquired by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre