Ishrat encounter case: Two cops, part of hit squads, held
Ahmedabad: The CBI has arrested two police officers who were part of as many squads that took part in the alleged fake encounter of teenage girl Ishrat Jahan and three others in 2004 in Gujarat.
The duo were already under judicial custody in another alleged fake encounter case of Sadik Jamal.
The arrests came close on the heels of the investigating agency picking up SP (Crime Records Bureau) Girish Singhal on Thursday in this connection.
While JG Parmar, who retired as DSP and also the complainant in the encounter case, was apprehended last night, Tarun Barot, currently Mehsana Deputy Superintendent of Police was picked up this afternoon, sources said today.
Parmar and Barot, who was then police inspector, were part of the two teams that eventually gunned down Ishrat Jahan and three others riding in a car.
Sources said, Parmar and Barot were placed under arrest after CBI secured a transfer warrant from court in this regard.
Ishrat, who hailed from Mumbra in Thane district neighbouring Mumbai, along with her accomplices Pranesh Pillai alias Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana, was killed allegedly in a staged encounter by police on a deserted stretch between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004.
Police had claimed that Ishrat and three others were on the mission to assassinate chief minister Narendra Modi.
With the arrest of the duo, the number of policemen arrested in the case so far has gone up to three.
Meanwhile, a CBI court today rejected the agency`s application seeking 14 days` remand of Parmar and sent him to judicial custody.
Seeking his remand, CBI counsel Ejaz Khan told the court that the offence was grievous in nature and custodial interrogation is extremely necessary for the investigation into the encounter case.
The CBI further said that the complicity and involvement of the accused is revealed in the offence committed, which mandates further detailed investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins in Mumbai; Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM grabs 5 seats in Solapur