Ishrat Jahan case: CBI court rejects bail of accused
Ahmedabad: A special court here on Tuesday rejected the bail plea of suspended Deputy Superintendent of Police NK Amin in which he had contended that the charge sheet filed by CBI in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case was incomplete.
Additional chief judicial magistrate S H Khutwad of the special CBI court rejected the application, saying that the applicant had filed default bail plea withing 90 days whereas, according to section 167 (2) of CrPC, the default bail plea has to be filed after 90 days and that too, in case the charge sheet is not filed.
But, in this case, the charge sheet has been filed within 90 days. So the argument that the filed charge sheet was incomplete does not survive, the court observed.
Amin, who was arrested in the 2004 fake encounter case of Ishrat and three others on April 4, had filed a bail application on July 4, saying that as CBI filed an incomplete charge sheet, he should be given bail.
CBI filed the charge sheet against seven police officers, including Amin, accusing them of murder and criminal conspiracy in the encounter killing of 19-year-old college girl Ishrat Jahan, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana.
CBI, in its charge sheet, had said that the encounter was fake and carried out jointly by the Gujarat police and IB.
As per the CBI charge sheet, Amin, alongwith Tarun Barot, had abducted Ishrat and Javed Shaik from Vasad toll booth in Anand district two days prior to their killings.
He is also accused of firing shots on Ishrat, Javed and two alleged Pakistani nationals Johar and Rana on the outskirts of Ahmedabad where they were killed in an alleged staged encounter.
Amin is also an accused in the Sohrabuddin Shaikh encounter case.
Earlier, five accused in Ishrat case, including suspended police officers GL Singhal, Tarun Barot, JG Parmar, Bharat Patel and Anaju Chaudhary, were granted default bail as CBI failed to file charge sheet within 90 days of their respective arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17