Keshubhai asks party to prepare for local body polls in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: After challenging Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the recently-concluded Assembly elections, Gujarat Parivartan Party chief Keshubhai Patel on Sunday appealed to party cadres to gear up for upcoming polls to local bodies.
"In the Assembly elections, though our party got an overwhelming acceptance, we couldn`t infuse trust. Now it`s our responsibility to convert this acceptance into votes," Patel told a gathering of party workers here.
Thanking party workers for putting up a united fight in
the Assembly polls, the former BJP veteran appealed to cadres to "continue with this (enthusiasm) for Panchayat elections slated for next year."
On the occasion, GPP member and former Chief Minister Suresh Mehta while giving details about the local body elections said, "From February 2013, elections of 15 Taluka Panchayats, 77 Nagar Panchayats and 4,000 Gram Panchayats are coming up and we will have to convert our acceptance into votes in these elections."
Analysing the party`s performance in Assembly elections,
Mehta claimed that, "Though GPP could win only two seats, it was instrumental in the defeat of 15 BJP and 8 Congress candidates."
Keshubhai also called to review the performance of the party in the Assembly polls in which only two candidates, including Patel, won and the party got 3.02 per cent of total votes polled.
The GPP president said, "Bharatiya Janata Party was able to win only two seats in Lok Sabha even after 17 years of its formation. Moreover, Jansangh, which was formed in 1951, could only manage to garner 1.84 per cent of votes in Gujarat elections in 1967."
"Whereas, our party won two seats within four months of its inception," he said.
A former BJP stalwart from the state, Patel parted ways
with the party alleging the "undemocratic" style of functioning of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and formed GPP.
Addressing party workers, GPP general secretary Gordhan
Zadafia said, "Today we all will have to be ready for another battle which is awaiting us and it`s our responsibility to make people aware of current BJP government`s corrupt practices."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?