Keshubhai expected to be CM candidate against Modi
Ahmedabad: Rebel BJP leader Keshubhai Patel, who announced the formation of a new party to take on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the upcoming assembly polls, is likely to be projected as the chief ministerial candidate of the anti-Modi outfit and is hoping that a large number of dissident BJP workers will crossover.
"Keshubhai Patel is likely to be projected as the chief ministerial candidate of the new party that he has announced to form," a leader of anti-Modi group said.
The party will contest all the 182 assembly seats and is likely to have a major impact on seats having Patel population in Saurashtra and Kutch and also in Surat in South Gujarat.
The chief ministerial candidate for BJP is Modi while the principal Opposition party --Congress-- has not yet made up their mind on projecting anybody for the hot seat.
83-year-old Patel, who has come out in open against Modi in recent times is considered to be very powerful in numerically strong Patel community of the state which has been the backbone of BJP`s undefeated stint of power in Gujarat for the last 15 years.
Modi would have never imagined that he would be facing such a strong rebellion from within the party and constituents of the Sangh Parivar in the run up to 2012 elections, sources close to Patel said.
For Modi, it is very important to win the state elections of 2012 with a huge margin to have a legitimate claim of being a prime ministerial candidate of his party for the 2014 elections and but for that he will first have to sail through this big rebellion ahead of the state elections led by Keshubhai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city