Lokayukta order: Guj govt may file review petition
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government could file a review petition in the Supreme Court against its order upholding the appointment of Justice (retd) RA Mehta as Lokayukta by the Governor.
"We have not filed it (review petition) today and I can`t tell what will happen tomorrow," Law Minister Bhupendrasingh Chudasama said in Ahmedabad.
Sources in the administration said the government is contemplating filing a review petition in the Lokayukta case, the ruling on which had come early this month.
Justice Mehta has not yet assumed the charge of Lokayukta, citing the likely filing of the review petition.
"A review petition is being filed in the Supreme Court by the state government," he said when asked about the reason for not taking charge as the anti-corruption ombudsman despite the Supreme Court verdict.
Keshubhai Patel`s Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) have criticised the BJP for its reported move to challenge the Supreme Court ruling.
"Instead of accepting the apex court order, the state government is preparing a review petition on the Lokayukta issue. This shows how hollow the Chief Minister`s claims of honesty are," said GPP General Secretary Gordhan Zadafia in a statement.
In a big blow to Narendra Modi government, the Supreme Court had on January 2 upheld the appointment of Justice Mehta as Gujarat Lokayukta, a post lying vacant since 2003, by Governor Kamla Beniwal.
The apex court had noted that the post lying vacant for nine years reflected a "very sorry state of affairs". It had dismissed Modi government`s plea that the appointment was illegal as it was done without consulting it.
After the verdict, the state government had said it would implement the order. "We will soon implement the SC judgement on Lokayukta," Chudasama had said on January 2.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM