Modi Govt plans major renovation of Somnath Temple
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Government today mooted a
plan for holistic development of Somnath Temple located in
Junagadh district and putting the famous shrine prominently on
the world tourism map.
The Somnath Temple Tourist Township Development plan was
proposed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi during the 107th
meeting of the temple trust here.
This was the first meeting attended by Modi after
becoming a member of the trust in December last year.
Senior BJP leader L K Advani, a trustee, also attended
the meeting, which was held under the chairmanship of former
Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel.
After the meet, Advani, Modi and Minister of State for
Home Amit Shah had a separate meeting to discuss various party
related issues and the ongoing state-wide agitation against
fuel price hike, BJP sources said.
Somnath Temple represents the spiritual and cultural
heritage of Gujarat and it needs to be preserved, a government
release quoted Modi as saying.
"Like Jagannath Puri (in Orissa) and Kanyakumari (in
Tamil Nadu), which have international acclaim, we need to
develop Somnath in such a way that it too becomes world
famous," he said.
The plan included development of the temple premises, the
Ratnakar beach, where it is situated, and other
infrastructural projects, Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre