New Gir-Somnath district to be formed: Modi
Ahmedabad:Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has announced the formation of a new Gir-Somnath district along with a slew of other measures for the fishermen community.
In an apparent attempt to woo the fishermen community ahead of the state elections, Modi yesterday announced an increase of daily allowance from Rs 50 per day to Rs 150 for families of fishermen who are lodged in Pakistani jails.
"A new district will be formed soon and will be called Gir-Somnath and will have six talukas," Modi said at the Sagarkhedu fishermen community meet held by the state government in the Somnath temple town of Junagadh district in Saurashtra.
He announced the constitution of a high-level committee headed by the chief secretary to form the new district. The new Gir-Somnath district is likely to be formed on January 26, next year.
At present, Gir and the famous temple town of Somnath are in Junagadh district of Saurashtra region of the state. Six talukas of Junagdh will form the new district of Gir-Somnath.
Other announcements by Modi include a Rs 200-crore diesel subsidy on VAT for nearly 11,000 mechanised boats to be borne entirely by the state government.
He announced setting up of a new fishing port at Sutrapada and future development of other fishing ports in the Saurashtra coast, from Jafrabad in the east, to Bhadeli and Okha in the west.
Under Mission Mangalam Project, he announced a plan to set up 5,000 `sakhi mandalis` to provide training and bank linkage to women to grow see-weed for economic empowerment.
He laid the foundation stone for four water supply and underground sewer projects for Veraval, Kodinar and Una towns costing Rs 228 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what