Pandya case: CBI moves SC opposing Guj HC order
New Delhi: CBI has moved the Supreme Court
in former Gujarat home minister late Haren Pandya`s murder
case challenging Gujarat High Court order which had criticised
it for a "botched-up" and "blinkered" probe while dropping
murder charges against 12 accused.
Official sources said on Monday a Special Leave Petition
(SLP) was filed in the apex court last Friday challenging the
High Court order.
The High Court had on August 29 dropped murder charge
against the 12 accused of being involved in the killing of
Haren Pandya eight years ago.
While absolving the 12 persons of the murder charge,
the court upheld the trial court`s decision to convict them
for criminal conspiracy, attempt to murder and offences under
the Prevention of Terrorism Act.
Pandya, who was a minister of state for home in the BJP
government and was once close to Chief Minister Narendra
Modi, was shot dead on March 26, 2003, in Ahmedabad when he
was out for a morning walk. According to CBI, Pandya was
murdered to avenge the 2002 communal riots.
Criticising CBI, the court had observed "what clearly
stands out from the record of the present case is that the
investigation in the case of murder of Haren Pandya has
all throughout been botched up and blinkered and has left a
lot to be desired".
Ahead of filing of the SLP, CBI had given presentation
about the investigation to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
and Union Law Minister Salman Khursheed.
CBI`s presentation was made to on the investigations
carried out in the case and the legal points on which the
agency could approach the Supreme Court challenging the
Gujarat High Court`s order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...