SC dismisses Gujarat cop`s plea in Ishrat Jahan sh
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition by Additional Director General of Gujarat Police PP Pandey challenging an arrest warrant issued against him in the 2004 staged shootout case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
The apex court bench headed by Justice Gyan Sudha Misra said the petitioner, a Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service officer, could not approach them for challenging the arrest warrant issued by a magistrate, without approaching the high court.
Besides seeking the quashing of the arrest warrant, Pandey had sought the quashing of the second first information report which was filed in the case on the direction of the Gujarat High Court after the investigation into the case was handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
An Ahmedabad magistrate had issued non-bailable arrest warrant against Pandey May 2.
Mumbai college girl Ishrat Jahan, Pranesh Gopinath Pilai, Amjad Ali and Jishan Johar were killed by Gujarat Police in a staged shootout June 15, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah