Ships without oil spill insurance cover can`t dock in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Learning lessons from recent
incidents of oil spill, Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB) has
directed that ships without oil spill insurance cover would
not be allowed to be docked on ports in the state.
"We have invoked the wreckage removal and oil spill cover
clause in insurance for the ships coming to get docked at the
ports here," GMB Chief Nautical Officer S C Mathur told PTI.
"The vessel owners, while submitting their documents on
estimated time of arrival at the ports, will also have to
produce documents for upto date premium paid for their vessel
as per the clause," Mathur said.
"The vessels that do not submit the required documents
will not be allowed to dock at the ports in Gujarat," he said.
The state`s regulatory body for ports and related-
activity GMB, taking a cue from the losses suffered by
Maharashtra following a collision of two ships MSC Chitra and
MV Khalija III, invoked the clause on November 1.
Maharashtra suffered a loss of around Rs 250 crore after
the two ships had collided on August 7 near Jawharlal Nehru
Port Trust, leading to heavy oil spill and blocking of
An estimated 6,000 big vessels (having dead weight
tonnage capacity between 4,000 to 2 lakh MT) annually come to
Gujarat, a GMB official said.
The move has irked ocean carriers as they will now have
to shell out higher premium for getting insurance cover to
comply with the new rule, industry sources said.
"A representation from ASSOCHAM has indicated that after
this move the Protection and Indemnity Club in England, a
major insurer of vessels, is likely to increase the premium
amount," a GMB official said.
A vessel owner has to pay close to USD 50,000 as premium
for availing insurance cover for wreckage removal and oil
spill per ship, industry sources said.
In routine course, the ocean carriers take insurance
cover only for hull and machinery by paying lower premiums,
Close to eleven ports are operated by GMB in the state,
including Jafrabad, Okha, Bhavanagar, Magdalla and Navlakhi.
GMB handled traffic of 205.51 MMT during 2009-10
compared to 153 MMT in the previous year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27