Terror accused dug 214-ft tunnel under Sabarmati jail: Police
Ahmedabad: In a shocking discovery that could spell more trouble for the Sabarmati Central Jail authorities here, police have found that the tunnel dug by Ahmedabad serial blasts accused was 214 feet long and not 26 feet as originally said.
On February 10, authorities stumbled upon the tunnel, which they said was 26-feet long, starting under barrack No 4 where 14 of the 68 accused of the serial blasts case were lodged.
"Inspection by Crime Branch and city fire department has revealed that it is about 214 feet long," DCP Crime Branch Himanshu Shukla said on Saturday.
"The accused had put up a stone wall covered with plaster of mud at the junction of 26 feet, which, when broken, led to the tunnel extending way beyond the jail boundary wall," Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) AK Sharma said.
Interrogation of the second batch of five accused led to this discovery. The accused could have escaped in a week`s time had the tunnel not been discovered, police sources said.
Sharma said such a long tunnel could not have been dug without the collusion of jail authorities, and simply with sharp utensils and wooden tools and it is possible that jail authorities might have advised the accused to tell police that it was only 26-feet-long and 16-feet-deep.
"We will seek custody of five accused (who were earlier sent to judicial custody) to interrogate them," Sharma said.
Mufti Abubashar, Mohammad Ismail, Nadeem Saiyed, Iqbal Sheikh and Mohammad Ansar Abdulrazzak are in the custody of Detection of Crime Branch, who disclosed during the interrogation that tunnel extended beyond the mud wall.
Crime Branch will now seek the custody of Shaduli Abdul Kalim, Shibli Abdul Kalim, Zahid Sheikh, Nasir Patel and Hafiz Mulla for fresh interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi