Two arrested for theft in Darbargadh palace
Jamnagar: A security guard and his brother have been arrested for their alleged involvement in a theft at Darbargadh, the palace of Jamnagar Maharajah Shatrusalya Sinh, and some silver utensils and antique items have been recovered from their possession, police said on Saturday.
Valuables like silver utensils and antique items worth Rs 12.57 lakh were reportedly stolen from Darbargadh over a period of few months regarding which the manager of the palace had lodged a complaint with city police yesterday, they said.
Police said the security guard stationed at Darbargadh and his brother have been arrested for their involvement in the theft.
But they did not divulge details of the value of the recovered items.
Aniruddsinh Jadeja, who was the guard at the palace, and his brother Sukhdevsinh Jadeja have confessed to police of their involvement in the theft, they said.
Sukhdevsinh told police that he had sold off 20 kg silver to Kishore Suthar of Jamnagar and 5 kg silver to a goldsmith in Porbandar.
A police official said that the duo will be produced before a local court here today and they will seek police remand for further interrogation into the incident.
Built in 1540, Darbargadh is a significant historical complex in Jamnagar and was the old royal residence.
Three years ago, a similar theft was reported from another ancestral palace of the erstwhile rulers of Jamnagar in which antique artefacts worth over Rs 4 crore were reported to be stolen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video