Withdraw all appeals for death penalty in Gujarat riot cases: VHP
Ahmedabad: After Gujarat government`s move to withhold its decision to seek death penalty for ex-minister Maya Kodnani in the Naroda Patiya riots case, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad has now demanded withdrawal of all appeals seeking death penalty in other riot cases as well.
The Gujarat government, which had earlier given its consent to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to file an appeal in the Naroda Patiya case and seek death penalty for 10 convicts including Kodnani, has now withheld its decision on the grounds of seeking opinion of the Advocate General.
In a press statement, Gujarat VHP General Secretary Ranchhod Bharvad said, "The VHP demands that the Gujarat government should give clear order to its law department not to seek any punishment for Hindus henceforth, and also to file an independent appeal against verdicts that have given harsh punishments in such cases."
The VHP leader said the outfit will launch protests if the government fails to do so.
The right-wing organisation has also asked the state government to withdraw appeals, filed by the SIT in the Gujarat High Court, seeking death penalty in the Ode and Dipda Darwaza rioting cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday