Zakia Jafri challenges SIT right to be heard in he
Ahmedabad: Zakia Jafri, the wife of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri (who was killed in 2002 Gujarat riots), on Friday took objection to SIT`s `locus standi` at the hearing on her application seeking more time to file protest petition against SIT`s closure report giving clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 61 others.
"As per the Supreme Court orders, Special Investigation Team has completed investigation and filed its report, now this is purely an issue between the complainant (Zakia) and the court. SIT can now come into picture when court takes final decision on the report," said her lawyer, advocate SM Vora.
At the last hearing, Magistrate BJ Ganatra had asked Zakia to file her protest petition against the SIT report by today. But she sought more time.
SIT`s lawyer objected, saying that she had had enough time to study the report, given to her in May this year.
"She should be asked to file protest petition as soon as possible," said advocate RS Jamuar.
To which, Zakia`s lawyer said SIT had no right to raise such an objection at this stage.
Zakia, in her complaint, has made accusations against Modi and others with regard to handling of the 2002 riots, but SIT has found no substance in it.
Zakia, in her latest application, alleges that SIT was pressuring her to file the protest petition at the earliest, because it wanted final order in the case at the time of Assembly Elections in Gujarat, slated for December.
Court has now asked her to submit an application on October 17 challenging the locus standi (right to be heard) of SIT at this stage.
Afterwards the court would decide whether Zakia should be given more time, the magistrate said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Market gatheres momentum, Sensex up 120 points amid F&O expiry
- Ranveer Singh's 'Kala Chashma' moment with 'bae' Zoya Akhtar! See pics
- Facebook quarterly profit surges 186% to $2 billion
- Concerned by amended child labour bill in India: UN
- Pakistan legend Saqlain Mushtaq set for second stint as England spin guru