Haryana couple to defy Khap ruling annulling marriage
Sonipat: A newly married couple in Haryana`s Sonipat district, whose marriage was annulled by a `Khap` (community) panchayat on Tuesday, have decided to defy the diktat and have approached police, seeking protection.
The community panchayat of Joli village in this district Tuesday announced that the two-day-old marriage of the couple, Anil Mehra and Seema Sabarwal, stood annulled. Justifying its bizarre act, the panchayat said the marriage was against social custom.
The couple on Thursday approached Sonipat district police chief Arun Nehra and submitted a written complaint against the panchayat`s diktat. They sought police protection.
The family members of the couple also urged police to intervene in the matter and resolve the dispute.
The panchayat had ordered that the couple terminate their marriage since some people in Joli village belonged to the same gotra as the girl, and that she could not be married to a boy from their village and caste.
"Since we are not complying with the panchayat`s verdict, we are apprehensive about any move from the panchayat`s side. We have sought police protection for ourselves and our families. We wish to live together," the couple, who got married Sunday, told media persons after meeting the police chief.
Police have assured the couple and their family members that they would be provided police protection and said that action as per law would be taken against those members of panchayat who would try to take law into their hands.
In the past, Haryana has witnessed several illegal diktats from Khap panchayats annulling the marriages of couples, saying that they were from the same "gotra" (lineage), caste or village. In some cases, the couples have been victimised and even killed. Their families have also been socially boycotted in some cases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know