Haryana dishonour killing: Father, uncle of girl arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Rohtak: The Haryana police on Thursday arrested the father and uncle of the girl who was lynched in public view for eloping with a man.
Seven others from the woman`s family are suspected of involvement in the crime, police said, adding that raids are being conducted to nab them.
In a bone-chilling case, Dharmender, 30, and Nidhi, 23, studying together in a college, were murdered in a village in Haryana in a suspected case of dishonour killing.
The body of Dharmender, with its head severed, was thrown outside his house in Garnavathi village near Kalanaur, while Nidhi was lynched by her family in public view.
Nidhi`s family tried to cremate her in a hush-hush manner, but police managed to reach the spot and took the half-burnt body in their custody for post-mortem. Police also took possession of Dharmender`s body.
Families of both the victims fled from their homes.
The two were good friends and studied together in a college in Rohtak. They were missing since Tuesday, sparking rumours of their marriage, police said.
Police suspect that the girl`s family had asked the couple to return from Delhi. The family was unhappy that she was having an affair with the young man, and had eloped with him on Tuesday.
The victims were friends studying in institutions in Rohtak, 10 km from their village.
Reacting to the incident, chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said that all those who are involved in the horrific incident must be arrested. Khap panchayats have no constitutional right and the government must act, added Sharma.
As per the diktat of Khap panchayats (community councils), marriages within the same village and community are not allowed.
In the past, young couples have been killed and attacked by khaps which do not accept marriages within the same gotra or village.
In some cases, the man and woman, even after they get married, are forced to accept each other as brother and sister.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in first half of 2016: UN
- Nepal likely to form consensus government within seven days of Oli resigning
- Hemant Soren complains against top police officer
- Salman Khan acquitted in black buck poaching cases: Check out mixed reactions on Twitter
- China says South Korea damaged 'mutual trust'