Haryana dishonour killing: Father, uncle of girl arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Rohtak: The Haryana police on Thursday arrested the father and uncle of the girl who was lynched in public view for eloping with a man.
Seven others from the woman`s family are suspected of involvement in the crime, police said, adding that raids are being conducted to nab them.
In a bone-chilling case, Dharmender, 30, and Nidhi, 23, studying together in a college, were murdered in a village in Haryana in a suspected case of dishonour killing.
The body of Dharmender, with its head severed, was thrown outside his house in Garnavathi village near Kalanaur, while Nidhi was lynched by her family in public view.
Nidhi`s family tried to cremate her in a hush-hush manner, but police managed to reach the spot and took the half-burnt body in their custody for post-mortem. Police also took possession of Dharmender`s body.
Families of both the victims fled from their homes.
The two were good friends and studied together in a college in Rohtak. They were missing since Tuesday, sparking rumours of their marriage, police said.
Police suspect that the girl`s family had asked the couple to return from Delhi. The family was unhappy that she was having an affair with the young man, and had eloped with him on Tuesday.
The victims were friends studying in institutions in Rohtak, 10 km from their village.
Reacting to the incident, chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said that all those who are involved in the horrific incident must be arrested. Khap panchayats have no constitutional right and the government must act, added Sharma.
As per the diktat of Khap panchayats (community councils), marriages within the same village and community are not allowed.
In the past, young couples have been killed and attacked by khaps which do not accept marriages within the same gotra or village.
In some cases, the man and woman, even after they get married, are forced to accept each other as brother and sister.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`