Haryana gets two union ministers
Gurgaon: Two Lok Sabha members from Haryana - Rao Inderjeet Singh and Krishan Pal Gujjar - Monday took oath as members of Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s council of ministers.
Rao Inderjeet, the 64-year-old member from Gurgaon, was sworn in as minister of state (independent charge) while 57-year-old Krishan Pal Gurjjar found place as minister of state.
Rao Inderjeet was minister of state for external affairs (2004-2006) and minister of state for defence production (2006-2009) during UPA-I.
He was also member of Lok Sabha 1998-1999, 2004-2009, 2009-2014.
Gujjar has been elected for the first time to the Lok Sabha from Faridabad.
Bharatiya Janata Party leaders said the state got two ministers in view of the upcoming legislative assembly polls in Haryana.
Polls to the 90-member assembly are due in October.
"The BJP for the first time is planning to come in power on its own in the state. So, Haryana men are getting preference," a BJP leader, who did not wish to be named, told IANS.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who won from Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh, and Gen. (retd) V.K. Singh who won from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, also hail from Palwal and Bhiwani districts of Haryana, respectively.
Of the 10 Lok Sabha seats in Haryana, the BJP won seven out of the eight it contested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi