Haryana gets two union ministers
Gurgaon: Two Lok Sabha members from Haryana - Rao Inderjeet Singh and Krishan Pal Gujjar - Monday took oath as members of Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s council of ministers.
Rao Inderjeet, the 64-year-old member from Gurgaon, was sworn in as minister of state (independent charge) while 57-year-old Krishan Pal Gurjjar found place as minister of state.
Rao Inderjeet was minister of state for external affairs (2004-2006) and minister of state for defence production (2006-2009) during UPA-I.
He was also member of Lok Sabha 1998-1999, 2004-2009, 2009-2014.
Gujjar has been elected for the first time to the Lok Sabha from Faridabad.
Bharatiya Janata Party leaders said the state got two ministers in view of the upcoming legislative assembly polls in Haryana.
Polls to the 90-member assembly are due in October.
"The BJP for the first time is planning to come in power on its own in the state. So, Haryana men are getting preference," a BJP leader, who did not wish to be named, told IANS.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who won from Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh, and Gen. (retd) V.K. Singh who won from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, also hail from Palwal and Bhiwani districts of Haryana, respectively.
Of the 10 Lok Sabha seats in Haryana, the BJP won seven out of the eight it contested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen