Haryana gets two union ministers
Gurgaon: Two Lok Sabha members from Haryana - Rao Inderjeet Singh and Krishan Pal Gujjar - Monday took oath as members of Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s council of ministers.
Rao Inderjeet, the 64-year-old member from Gurgaon, was sworn in as minister of state (independent charge) while 57-year-old Krishan Pal Gurjjar found place as minister of state.
Rao Inderjeet was minister of state for external affairs (2004-2006) and minister of state for defence production (2006-2009) during UPA-I.
He was also member of Lok Sabha 1998-1999, 2004-2009, 2009-2014.
Gujjar has been elected for the first time to the Lok Sabha from Faridabad.
Bharatiya Janata Party leaders said the state got two ministers in view of the upcoming legislative assembly polls in Haryana.
Polls to the 90-member assembly are due in October.
"The BJP for the first time is planning to come in power on its own in the state. So, Haryana men are getting preference," a BJP leader, who did not wish to be named, told IANS.
Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who won from Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh, and Gen. (retd) V.K. Singh who won from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, also hail from Palwal and Bhiwani districts of Haryana, respectively.
Of the 10 Lok Sabha seats in Haryana, the BJP won seven out of the eight it contested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brexit: Remain or Leave? Results could go down to the wire
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China
- Brexit poll: In or out? British bookmakers see more bets placed on Britain staying in European Union
- Day after 30 cows found dead, police chalks out plan to prevent smuggling