Karnal girl`s death: Police suspect dishonour killing
Karnal: Haryana Police have booked 20 people in what they say could be a case of dishonour killing of a minor girl.
The case relates to a 15-year-old girl, identified as Neha, who was allegedly murdered on June 12 by her own family members, a police officer said on Thursday.
"We have registered a case against some unknown people, including women. It could be a case of dishonour killing but it is too early to say anything concrete," Ram Chander, investigation officer of the case, said.
The 20 people have been booked for murder, criminal conspiracy and for tampering with evidence, he said.
A resident of Gagsina village in Karnal district, Neha eloped with a man called Sandeep, resident of Channa village in Jind district of Haryana, last month. They were caught by the police in Uttar Pradesh early this month.
Following this, Neha gave a statement in the court that Sandeep had betrayed her by making a false promise of marriage. Based on her statement, police arrested Sandeep.
"On June 13, we got information about Neha`s sudden death. Her parents said that she died of sickness. We were not satisfied with their version, therefore we have registered a case," said a police officer here.
Many cases of dishonour killing have rocked various parts of Haryana in the past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly