Karnal girl`s death: Police suspect dishonour killing
Karnal: Haryana Police have booked 20 people in what they say could be a case of dishonour killing of a minor girl.
The case relates to a 15-year-old girl, identified as Neha, who was allegedly murdered on June 12 by her own family members, a police officer said on Thursday.
"We have registered a case against some unknown people, including women. It could be a case of dishonour killing but it is too early to say anything concrete," Ram Chander, investigation officer of the case, said.
The 20 people have been booked for murder, criminal conspiracy and for tampering with evidence, he said.
A resident of Gagsina village in Karnal district, Neha eloped with a man called Sandeep, resident of Channa village in Jind district of Haryana, last month. They were caught by the police in Uttar Pradesh early this month.
Following this, Neha gave a statement in the court that Sandeep had betrayed her by making a false promise of marriage. Based on her statement, police arrested Sandeep.
"On June 13, we got information about Neha`s sudden death. Her parents said that she died of sickness. We were not satisfied with their version, therefore we have registered a case," said a police officer here.
Many cases of dishonour killing have rocked various parts of Haryana in the past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information