Karnal girl`s death: Police suspect dishonour killing
Karnal: Haryana Police have booked 20 people in what they say could be a case of dishonour killing of a minor girl.
The case relates to a 15-year-old girl, identified as Neha, who was allegedly murdered on June 12 by her own family members, a police officer said on Thursday.
"We have registered a case against some unknown people, including women. It could be a case of dishonour killing but it is too early to say anything concrete," Ram Chander, investigation officer of the case, said.
The 20 people have been booked for murder, criminal conspiracy and for tampering with evidence, he said.
A resident of Gagsina village in Karnal district, Neha eloped with a man called Sandeep, resident of Channa village in Jind district of Haryana, last month. They were caught by the police in Uttar Pradesh early this month.
Following this, Neha gave a statement in the court that Sandeep had betrayed her by making a false promise of marriage. Based on her statement, police arrested Sandeep.
"On June 13, we got information about Neha`s sudden death. Her parents said that she died of sickness. We were not satisfied with their version, therefore we have registered a case," said a police officer here.
Many cases of dishonour killing have rocked various parts of Haryana in the past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand