Mirchpur: SC asks for steps to recover losses
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the central and Haryana governments what steps they were taking to recover the losses they suffered in the course of the 11-day long agitation of the Jats last month to protest the arrests of the community`s members allegedly involved in Mirchpur village attack on Dalits.
The apex court bench of Justice GS Singhvi and Justice Asok Kumar Ganguly was told that the combined loss suffered by the central and Haryana governments amounted to Rs 33.45 crore.
The Railways told the court that the agitation, which led to the disruption and diversion of trains on the Delhi-Ferozpur route, caused a loss of Rs 33 crore, whereas Haryana assesed the losses suffered by it due to the road blocade at Rs 45 lakh.
The rail and road blocade was called by 12 "khap panchayats" or community panchayats of the Jats to protest the arrest of 98 people from the community for their alleged involvement in the attack on a Dalit locality in Mirchpur village, about 300 km from Chandigarh, in Hisar district April 21 last year.
A 70-year-old man and his 18-year-old physically-challenged daughter were killed when the rioters torched their house.
The matter will come up for hearing March 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof