Priest gets 31 years in jail for raping minor
Ambala: A priest was today handed down 31 years in jail by a fast track court for abducting and raping a minor girl in December last year.
Special Judge Vimlesh Tanwar awarded Sanjay Kherwar alias Shailender Puri 7 years in jail for kidnapping, 10 years for rape, 2 years for criminal intimidation, 2 years for cheating and 10 years under PCSAA, besides imposing a Rs 10,000 fine.
All the sentences would run concurrently.
Puri, who was living in a temple, had raped the Class XI student in Ugala village, prosecution said.
The girl was rescued with the arrest of Puri a few days later and he was booked under relevant sections of IPC and the Protection of Child from Sexual Assault Act (PCSAA).
Puri was earlier awarded life term in a murder case in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh and had escaped custody, and since then, he was living in a temple by posing himself as a godman.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources