Quota issue: Khap Panchayat gives 3-day ultimatum
Hisar: The Sarv Khap Panchayat, a conglomerate of various khaps, Monday gave a three day ultimatum to the Haryana government on inclusion of Jats under OBC quota in government jobs.
The conglomerate, which met at Jind today, threatened to start a statewide stir in case the state government fails to act on their demands.
The Khap served an ultimatum to the government to accept the demand of All India Jat Aarakshan Samiti, which is spearheading the movement.
"Three-day`s time has been given to the government to act on demands, which also includes withdrawal of cases against some members of the community who have been booked for various reasons during the stir in Hisar last year," said Ram Bhagat Malik, spokesperson of the Samiti in Ramayan village here.
Mayyar village has been declared as the headquarter for monitoring the Jat agitation in Haryana, Malik said.
Meanwhile, condition of Chanda Singh, one of the four persons sitting on indefinite hunger-strike became serious and doctors were called.
The traffic on Hisar-Bhiwani track continued to remain disrupted on the ninth day today as railway authorities have suspended some trains as a precautionary measure.
On February 24, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda had asked the Jat community to exercise restraint and wait for the report of a government panel that was constituted to look into the issue.
Hooda said a Backward Classes commission has already been constituted, and those agitating should "exercise restraint and wait for the report of the Commission which is expected soon."
A large number of protesters have been sitting on an indefinite dharna near the Hisar-Bhiwani railway track for nearly past one week.
The Jats are adamant on their demand of OBC quota in government jobs and withdrawal of police cases against some members of their community booked during their stir in Hisar district last year.
Last year, the protestors including women children and elderly had blocked rail tracks at 15 points across Haryana.
The worst affected were Hisar, Bhiwani and Jind districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY