SC allows screening of TV show on Haryana`s JBT scam
New Delhi: Decks for the telecast of a TV crime show allegedly based on teachers recruitment scam in Haryana were on Friday cleared by the Supreme Court on Friday with a caveat that there should be no reference to convicted persons including former Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala and 54 others.
Some of the convicted persons including Chautala had sought a direction to restrain airing of the episode of a programme `Crime Patrol Dastak` in which the story based on the scam was to feature.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir also said the programme should not indicate that Chautala and others have been convicted in the Junior Basic Trained (JBT) teachers scam of the year 2000.
"The channel should make effort to camouflage the actual characters in the serial," the bench, also comprising justices A R Dave and Vikramajit Sen, said.
The apex court passed directions while dismissing the appeal filed by Chautala and other convicts against the order of a division bench of the Delhi High Court which had set aside the order of its single judge bench restraining telecast of the TV show.
The bench had earlier wanted to know from the channel whether it was willing to delete the use of certain words like bribe etc in the script which has been objected to by Chautala and others.
Senior advocate Harish Salve, who was appearing for the appellant, had said "there would be no allusion or innuendo to bribe" in the show.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS