Two Haryana legislators denied anticipatory bail
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday rejected the anticipatory bail plea of two Haryana legislators over a village headman`s suicide and told them to appear in the trial court within a week.
OP Jain and Zile Ram Sharma, accused of abetting the suicide of Karam Singh in Karnal district in June 2011, had sought anticipatory bail after the CBI special court in Panchkula issued non-bailable warrants against them last month.
The high court, which earlier stayed their arrest till September 10, said the legislators should first appear before the Central Bureau of Investigation court and then seek regular bail.
Both legislators have been on the run since the CBI filed a chargesheet against them. They had earlier refused to accept court summons.
Jain was Haryana`s transport and tourism minister while Sharma was a chief parliamentary secretary before the two were forced to resign in June 2011.
The two were booked that month following the mysterious death of Karam Singh near Karnal town, 130 km from here. His body, with stab wounds, was found near the National Dairy Research Institute.
Just a day before his death, the village headman, who was in his late 50s, gave a complaint against Jain and Sharma to Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and police about an alleged fraud committed on him.
Karam Singh accused Jain and Sharma of duping him of nearly Rs 13 lakh on the pretext of providing government jobs to his son and two nephews. But they neither provided the jobs nor returned the money, his complaint said.
A witness to the headman`s death, Chamail Singh, was also found dead under mysterious circumstances a week later.
After the Haryana Police investigation into the case was found shoddy, the high court, in August last year, handed over the probe to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened