Two Haryana legislators denied anticipatory bail
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday rejected the anticipatory bail plea of two Haryana legislators over a village headman`s suicide and told them to appear in the trial court within a week.
OP Jain and Zile Ram Sharma, accused of abetting the suicide of Karam Singh in Karnal district in June 2011, had sought anticipatory bail after the CBI special court in Panchkula issued non-bailable warrants against them last month.
The high court, which earlier stayed their arrest till September 10, said the legislators should first appear before the Central Bureau of Investigation court and then seek regular bail.
Both legislators have been on the run since the CBI filed a chargesheet against them. They had earlier refused to accept court summons.
Jain was Haryana`s transport and tourism minister while Sharma was a chief parliamentary secretary before the two were forced to resign in June 2011.
The two were booked that month following the mysterious death of Karam Singh near Karnal town, 130 km from here. His body, with stab wounds, was found near the National Dairy Research Institute.
Just a day before his death, the village headman, who was in his late 50s, gave a complaint against Jain and Sharma to Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and police about an alleged fraud committed on him.
Karam Singh accused Jain and Sharma of duping him of nearly Rs 13 lakh on the pretext of providing government jobs to his son and two nephews. But they neither provided the jobs nor returned the money, his complaint said.
A witness to the headman`s death, Chamail Singh, was also found dead under mysterious circumstances a week later.
After the Haryana Police investigation into the case was found shoddy, the high court, in August last year, handed over the probe to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!