A simple test at home may spot early Alzheimer`s
Zee Media Bureau
New York: A good news for Alzheimer's patients. A simple and cheap test at home may detect early symptoms of cognitive issues, including Alzheimer's disease.
Researchers have developed an at-home test which is cheap and self-administered and that can help doctors spot early cognitive loss or dementia in their patients.
Self-administered gero-cognitive examination or SAGE test as it is called,takes less than 15 minutes to complete and is quite a reliable tool for evaluating cognitive abilities.
Researchers visited 45 community events where they asked people to take a simple, self-administered test to screen for early cognitive loss or dementia.
“Of the 1,047 people who took the simple pen-and-paper test, 28 percent were identified with cognitive impairment,” said Douglas Scharre, who developed the test with his team at Ohio State.
The SAGE's self-administered feature - pen-and-paper format - and four equivalent interchangeable forms allows it to be given in almost any setting and does not require any staff time to administer or to set up a computer.
Orientation, language, reasoning/computation, visuospatial and memory abilities are the parameters on which the patients are tested on.
This test allows the doctors to get a baseline of cognitive function in their patients, so they can follow them for these problems over time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what