A simple test at home may spot early Alzheimer`s
Zee Media Bureau
New York: A good news for Alzheimer's patients. A simple and cheap test at home may detect early symptoms of cognitive issues, including Alzheimer's disease.
Researchers have developed an at-home test which is cheap and self-administered and that can help doctors spot early cognitive loss or dementia in their patients.
Self-administered gero-cognitive examination or SAGE test as it is called,takes less than 15 minutes to complete and is quite a reliable tool for evaluating cognitive abilities.
Researchers visited 45 community events where they asked people to take a simple, self-administered test to screen for early cognitive loss or dementia.
“Of the 1,047 people who took the simple pen-and-paper test, 28 percent were identified with cognitive impairment,” said Douglas Scharre, who developed the test with his team at Ohio State.
The SAGE's self-administered feature - pen-and-paper format - and four equivalent interchangeable forms allows it to be given in almost any setting and does not require any staff time to administer or to set up a computer.
Orientation, language, reasoning/computation, visuospatial and memory abilities are the parameters on which the patients are tested on.
This test allows the doctors to get a baseline of cognitive function in their patients, so they can follow them for these problems over time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata