Alzheimer`s signs appear 25 yrs before onset of disease: Study
New Delhi: Alzheimer’s- related changes begin to appear up to 25 years before the expected onset of the disease, a new study has claimed that may help pave way for early diagnosis and treatment of the brain disorder.
A team of scientists from Washington University School of Medicine studied 128 participants who had 50% chance of inheriting the disease.
The scientist suggested that the earliest sign of the changes, a drop in spinal fluid levels of the key ingredient of Alzheimer`s brain plaques, can be detected 25 years before the anticipated age of the disease’s onset.
Increased levels of a protein called tau in the spinal fluid and the shrinkage of parts of the brain become evident 15 years before the symptoms appear.
At 10 years, reduced use of sugar glucose in the brain and slight memory problems become apparent.
The ability to detect Alzheimer`s early would give the best chance of successful treatment of the disease, said UK experts.
The study was published in The New England Journal of Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader