Chikungunya breakthrough offers hope for better treatment
Singapore: Scientists claim to have found a specific biomarker for Chikungunya, which they say could serve as an early and accurate prognosis of patients at risk from the mosquito-borne infectious disease endemic to Southeast Asia and Africa.
There is no clinically-approved vaccine or treatment for chikungunya fever, which is characterised by persistent joint pains that linger for months. Most patients recover within a week but those with a weak immune system may also die from it.
Scientists at A*Star`s (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) Singapore Immunology Network (SIgN) discovered that patients who respond to the disease at the onset with high levels of IgG3 -- a naturally-acquired antibody – are protected from the more severe form of chikungunya fever.
On the other hand, those with a delayed IgG3 response generally have less acute symptoms at the start, but are more susceptible to chronic debilitating joint pains later on, the `www.channelnewsasia.com` reported.
This led the researchers to identify IgG3 antibodies as a specific biomarker of patients who have increased risk of the severe form of chikungunya fever.
The team also collaborated with experts from A*STAR`s Institute for Infocomm Research and uncovered a defined segment of the chikungunya viral protein, named "E2EP3".
The viral protein was able to induce protective response from IgG3 in pre-clinical models.
Mice vaccinated with the E2EP3 peptides were protected against the chikungunya virus with significant reduction in viral counts and joint inflammation.
The team said the finding raises hope for a new effective chikungunya vaccine that can offer protection against the chikungunya virus in the event of an outbreak.
"Long-term treatment required for the chronic joint pain in chikungunya-infected patients places social and economic burden for both patients and the public healthcare system," said Dr Lisa Ng, who led the research.
"We are excited that the mechanistic insights gained through our collaborative research with the local hospitals and international research partners have led to discovery of `new weapons` to tackle chikungunya more effectively."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM