HIV cases down by 57% in India
New Delhi: India is witnessing a significant reduction in fresh cases of deadly HIV, which have come down by as much as 57 per cent, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said today.
"There have been significant falls in MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), IMR (Infant Mortality rates) and TFR as well as reduction in new HIV cases by as much as 57 percent," he said, while addressing the India Health Summit organised by CII here.
Azad said this will be the second successive year which will see a polio-free India, which is the longest polio-free period ever since eradication efforts were launched.
"We have stepped up efforts to meet public health challenges such as Influenza A- H1N1 pandemic and the credit goes to ICMR and our Indian manufacturers to have domestically develop testing regents and vaccines to combat H1N1," Azad said.
He said ICMR is currently working on 75 leads of potential public health importance for development and evaluation of affordable diagnostics, including indigenously developed test for diabetes, TB and cancer.
The minister said the health ministry in the last three years have focused on reforming policies related to medical and paramedical education in order to meet the acute shortage of human resources in health.
"For these several policy decisions the availability of MBBS seats and PG seats will increase by 40 and 80 percent respectively. I am sure that by next year the increase in MBBS and PG seats will touch 50 percent and 100 percent respectively," said Azad.
To meet shortage of nursing staff, Azad said his ministry has sanctioned 269 nursing schools with an outlay of Rs 2,030 crores.
These institutions will produce an additional 20,000 nurses annually.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview