Household chores can cut risk of breast cancer by 13%
London: Leading an active lifestyle which includes doing housework, walking and gardening can cut the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study has claimed.
The European Prospective Investigation of Cancer (Epic) found that women who take part in moderate to high levels of exercise can reduce the chance of getting breast cancer by up to 13 percent, Sky News reported.
The research looked at the link between diet, lifestyle and the disease in more than 8,000 women who had suffered from breast cancer.
The study found that those who were the most physically active were 13 per cent less likely to develop the disease compared with those who were physically inactive.
Women who took part in moderate exercise had an 8 per cent lower chance of getting breast cancer.
Sarah Williams, from Cancer Research UK, said the evidence bolstered already existing information on the subject.
"This study in itself isn`t completely `new` news but it does fit in very well with what we already know about breast cancer and physical activity, so it`s just making that more solid," Williams was quoted as saying by the paper.
"The good news for women is that this research doesn`t just look at the time we spend in the gym, it involves anything where you`re basically getting a little bit out of breath, getting a bit warm, moderate activity," she added.
"So, while it obviously includes running and cycling, it also includes the gardening, playing football with the kids, anything where you`re moving around, it counts," Williams said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown