Household chores can cut risk of breast cancer by 13%
London: Leading an active lifestyle which includes doing housework, walking and gardening can cut the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study has claimed.
The European Prospective Investigation of Cancer (Epic) found that women who take part in moderate to high levels of exercise can reduce the chance of getting breast cancer by up to 13 percent, Sky News reported.
The research looked at the link between diet, lifestyle and the disease in more than 8,000 women who had suffered from breast cancer.
The study found that those who were the most physically active were 13 per cent less likely to develop the disease compared with those who were physically inactive.
Women who took part in moderate exercise had an 8 per cent lower chance of getting breast cancer.
Sarah Williams, from Cancer Research UK, said the evidence bolstered already existing information on the subject.
"This study in itself isn`t completely `new` news but it does fit in very well with what we already know about breast cancer and physical activity, so it`s just making that more solid," Williams was quoted as saying by the paper.
"The good news for women is that this research doesn`t just look at the time we spend in the gym, it involves anything where you`re basically getting a little bit out of breath, getting a bit warm, moderate activity," she added.
"So, while it obviously includes running and cycling, it also includes the gardening, playing football with the kids, anything where you`re moving around, it counts," Williams said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof