How a woman with ‘dermatographia’ turned her body into high art!
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New York: In a rare case of creativity, a 33-year-old woman has turned her so called ‘skin writing’ disease into a high art of magnetism using her own skin as a canvas.
Ariana Page Russell, currently based in Brooklyn, New York, is suffering from dermatographia- a skin disorder in which the skin becomes inflamed and raised when scratched or rubbed.
Ms Russell uses a blunt knitting needle to write text or draw intricate patterns on her legs, arms, stomach, face and elsewhere, which is painless and lasting about half an hour.
After being detected with dermatographia, she decided to raise awareness about the disease through photography and started photographing the marks on her body. Her images have been exhibited in galleries across the US.
“I just thought there’s something really powerful in that because I have no control over it, it just happens.
“I wanted to capture that feeling of vulnerability and just that fleeting thing that happens in a flush,” said Russell.
Ms Russell also says that she is not looking for a cure.
“To me my skin is a canvas ... I think it’s fun to be able to draw on myself, I like it,” she added.
What is Dermatographia?
Dermatographia is one of the most common types of urticaria, in which the skin becomes red and raised when scratched, stroked and sometimes even slapped and is believed to affect 4-5% of the population. The exact cause of the disease is unknown and is most common in teenagers and young adults, ages 15-30. Some people think that dermatographia occurs due to some kind of allergic reaction but this has not been proven.
Symptoms may include: Swelling, raised red lines or ridges on the skin, inflammation, itching and hive-like welts. It may appear within a few minutes of your skin being rubbed and usually vanish within half an hour. But the symptoms may also last anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
Treatment and Prevention
While there are not many treatment options available, dermographism can be treated by substances, which prevent histamine from causing the reaction. These may need to be given as a combination of H1 antagonists, or possibly with an H2-receptor antagonist such as Cimetidine.
Also, frequent anecdotal evidence suggests taking in small amounts of alcohol may help with the itching, or temporarily cause the inflammation/welts to subside.
Prevention measures include: Avoiding triggering and scratching of the skin, avoiding irritation of the skin, keeping the skin moisturized with lotions and creams as well as by drinking lots of water.
While dermatographia is not considered a serious condition, a person suffering from the disease can be very uncomfortable to live with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared