iPads too can cause `computer vision syndrome`
Washington: iPads too can contribute to “computer vision syndrome”, a set of eye problems caused by staring at a screen for long periods of time without taking a break.
According to the American Optometric Association, symptoms of computer vision syndrome include eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision and dry eyes. Many of us may already have the syndrome and not even realize it.
People who spend two or more continuous hours in front of a computer or digital media each day are most at risk for computer vision syndrome, according to Wake Forest Family Eyecare.
New York optometrist Dr Justin Bazan, who serves on Better Vision Institute, told HealthPop that this syndrome is caused by two factors.
Computer, tablet and smartphone screens are typically held close, which causes eye strain. Also, these screens always show pixilated images, which cause our eyes to shift in and out of focus without us even realizing it. That’s weakening the eye’s focusing muscles, the doctor says, causing the eyes to work hard to maintain focus. Bazan added that if the screen is small, people tend to hold it even closer to their eyes, CBS news reported.
Dr Matthew Gardiner an ophthalmologist at Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston, said last month that people forget to blink when they stare so closely at these screens, which can lead to dry eyes and irritation. Dr Bazan agrees, saying that a normal blink rate is a few times every few seconds, but when staring at a screen, the rate drops to a few blinks per few minutes.
To reduce the risk of developing this syndrome, Dr Bazan recommends a “20-20-20” rule, in which for every 20 minutes of screen time, people should look away for 20 seconds at something that is 20 feet away. It’ll give the eyes a chance to refresh, and may reduce symptoms of computer vision syndrome. For desktop computer users, keep the monitor at arm’s length and the top at eye-level, the downward gaze is easier on the eyes.
Though not an iPad expert, Dr Bazan thinks Apple’s announcement of a new “retina display” might stave off some of the symptoms of computer vision syndrome, since users supposedly will be less able to distinguish pixels from one another.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened