Master trainers to tackle gestational diabetes mellitus
Chennai: In a bid to effectively control gestational diabetes mellitus among pregnant women, three medical forums have come together to prepare 100 master trainers through a speciality course on GDM.
The trainers would then train 1,000 obstetricians and gynaecologists.
Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI), Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group India (DIPSI) and World Diabetes Foundation (WDF) are preparing these master trainers through the speciality course.
"While the Maternal Mortality Rate in the West is around 10 per 1,00,000 women, it is 212 per 1,00,000 women in India. In some parts of Uttar Pradesh it goes up to over 480. We need more trained obstetricians and gynaecologists in the country," FOGSI president Hema Divakar told reporters here.
While over 27 million deliveries happen in India every year, there are only over 27,000 obstetricians and gynaecologists in the country, she said.
"GDM is increasing in India. In 1982, it was two per cent and 7.2 per cent in 1991. But in 2002, it doubled and became 16.55 per cent, which is a dangerous trend," DIPSI chairman Dr V Seshiah said.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been doing well in the country in terms of reducing the percentage, he said, adding that while Tamil Nadu reduced MMR to 97/1,00,000, Kerala reported 94/1,00,000.
WDF member Dr Anil Kapur underlined the importance of 1,000 golden days concept, which included the mother`s pregnancy and the consecutive two years.
"If the mother takes care of her health during pregnancy and the following two years, there are more chances that the child will be healthy and free of diabetes," Kapur said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi