New drug to combat auto-immune diseases
Sydney: A newly-developed drug could kill rebellious immune cells, which prey on the tissues instead of defending them, causing auto-immune diseases such as type-1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
The absence of two proteins Bax and Bak from certain immune cells permits them to override apoptosis, a process that ensures cellular death after they have outlived their utility. Consequently, these cells turn against the body, with adverse health outcomes.
Lorraine O`Reilly from Australia`s Walter and Eliza Hall Institute and colleagues said that some immune cells that lacked the proteins Bax and Bak turned against healthy tissues in many organs.
"Normally, these `self-reactive` immune cells are deleted during development," O`Reilly said, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
The research shows that Bax and Bak activity can be regenerated by a new class of potential anti-cancer agents, called BH3-mimetics, which are undergoing clinical trials for certain types of leukaemia, O`Reilly said, according to a Walter and Eliza Hall statement.
"Our findings suggest that BH3-mimetics might be an exciting new option for treatment for autoimmune conditions by activating Bax and Bak and making the self-reactive immune cells which are causing the autoimmune disease to die," she said.
Kylie Mason, Daniel Gray, Andreas Strasser and David Huang from the Walter and Eliza Hall and Paul Waring from the University of Melbourne were part of the research team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark