Peer pressure drives spread of anorexia
Washington: Peer group pressure is one of the most significant influences on self-image and the development of anorexia, a new study has found.
According to the new research from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), anorexia is a socially transmitted disorder and appears to be more prevalent in countries such as France where women are thinner than average.
The “economic analysis” of anorexia, using a sample of nearly 3,000 young women across Europe appeared just as the autumn/winter season is winding up with Paris Fashion Week.
The research by LSE economist Joan Costa-Font and Mireia Jofre-Bonet of City University, showed that it is becoming increasingly apparent that standards of physical appearance are important and powerful motivators of human behaviour, especially regarding health and food.
“We found evidence that social pressure, through peer shape, is a determinant in explaining anorexia nervosa and a distorted self-perception of one’s own body,” Fox News quoted Costa-Font as saying in a statement emailed to Reuters.
The researchers analysed the influence of peer pressure on 2,871 women between the ages of 15 and 34 who reported their weight, height, eating habits, age, gender, marital status, educational level, professional category, political attitudes and most crucially their own perception of their body image.
“The distorted self-perception of women with food disorders and the importance or the peer effects may prompt governments to take action to influence role models and compensate for social pressure on women driving the trade-off between ideal weight and health,” Costa-Font said.
They determined which women in the study were anorexic by calculating their body mass index (BMI), which is defined as the individual’s body weight divided by the square of his or her height. Women with a BMI of less than 17.5 were classified as anorexic.
The study is due to be published in the academic journal Economica later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion