`Schizophrenia susceptibility gene identified`
Beijing: Chinese scientists at the Anhui Medical University have reportedly pinpointed a specific gene that increases susceptibility to schizophrenia.
Researchers analysed the genes of around 12,000 people with schizophrenia and healthy individuals from two separate cohorts to discover `Tspan-18`, a gene located in the eleventh chromosome that increases susceptibility to the mental illness.
The Chinese researchers have also validated another schizophrenia-susceptible gene discovered by their foreign counterparts, which is located in the sixth chromosome, state-
run Xinhua news agency reported today.
Schizophrenia is characterised by disintegration of thought processes and of emotional responsiveness. Scientists around the globe are trying to discover the cause of and
permanent treatment for the mental disorder through genetic analysis.
The research was jointly conducted by scientists from Anhui Medical University, the first hospital affiliated with the university, the National Human Genome Centre and Peking
The scientists` findings were published in an online edition of the scientific journal Nature Genetics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living