Why chronic itching can be so excruciating
Washington: For those who have suffered through sleepless nights due to uncontrollable itching know that not all itching is the same.
A new research at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis explains why.
Working in mice, the scientists have shown that chronic itching, which can occur in many medical conditions, from eczema and psoriasis to kidney failure and liver disease, is different from the fleeting urge to scratch a mosquito bite.
That's because chronic itching appears to incorporate more than just the nerve cells, or neurons, that normally transmit itch signals.
The researchers found that in chronic itching, neurons that send itch signals also co-opt pain neurons to intensify the itch sensation.
The new discovery may lead to more effective treatments for chronic itching that target activity in neurons involved in both pain and itch.
"In normal itching, there's a fixed pathway that transmits the itch signal," senior investigator Zhou-Feng Chen, PhD, who directs Washington University's Center for the Study of Itch, said.
"But with chronic itching, many neurons can be turned into itch neurons, including those that typically transmit pain signals. That helps explain why chronic itch ing can be so excruciating," he said.
The research is published online in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming